Riverside Opera uses Laws of the Night, Revised Edition. Archetypes and Merits/Flaws may be taken from the Camarilla Guide. Dark Epics is used for Weapons and Armor. Other source books will not come into play unless otherwise stated. Items that are not in the above books, but can be perked into, will have the source book and page number next to them for ease of access.
This is a Camarilla 7 game. Certain clans and bloodlines can be purchased with perk points that are acquired by earning XP. A comprehensive list of perks can be found below.
Players may, at their discretion, take a Derangement instead of lowering their Humanity for two Free Traits at character creation. Players may not do both.
Intermediate Disciplines cost 3 Free Traits per level at Character Creation. Advanced Disciplines may not be purchased with Free Traits.
Everyone likes to play strange, interesting or powerful characters. However, in the name of game balance, that isn’t always possible. In fact, in the name of game balance, the Storyteller might ask you to retire your character or use them in some dramatic fashion for the story. Characters might even die as a natural progression, no matter how powerful they are. To facilitate all of these realities, Riverside Opera employs a Perk system to incentivize players to both continue playing their current characters and move on to new ones when the time is right.
Players stop playing characters for many reasons. Luckily, in Riverside Opera, players do not lose all of their hard earned experience when they do so. If your character is removed from play, you may spend all of the experience you earned while playing that character on any number of the Perks listed below. You may buy as many Perks as you can afford.
Half of whatever experience you have left over will be then transferred to your new character, unless the Storyteller asked you to retire the character or killed your character for plot. (Note: If your character dies as the result of your actions or the actions of another player, you still only get half of your remaining experience.)
For example, David has been playing in the LARP for four games, and his Toreador has been racking up the experience. However, David really wants to play a Ravnos, and since he has earned 26 experience in total on his character, he finally has enough to purchase that perk. He hands his character sheet to the Storyteller, cashes in 20 experience for the Perk, and then receives 3 experience to apply to his new character.
It is important to note, however, that even if a Perk allows you access to a particular thing, you must still purchase that thing. For instance, the 10-point Perk “Start at 8th Generation” still requires that you spend five points on the Generation Background. Unless the Perk explicitly states otherwise, these purchases may be made with Free Traits rather than Experience.
Lastly, all Perks are purchased at Storyteller discretion. The Storyteller may want you to come up with a good justification why your 6th Generation Kiasyd who is Unbondable and follows the Path of Cathari has decided to come to Memphis before he clears that character for play. Paths of Enlightenment will be particularly carefully distributed, as they can be difficult to play.
- Start at 8th Generation
- Start with a single (non-Thaumaturgy) out-of-Clan Discipline.
- Start with a non-standard Thaumaturgy Path (If you have Thau in-clan or have purchased the perk to buy it out of clan. Non Standard Thau Paths can be found here.)
- Purchase the Merit: Unbondable
- Purchase the Merit: Iron Will
- Start on one of these Paths of Enlightenment:
- Path of Bones
- Path of Death and the Soul (Sabbat Guide P. 81)
- Path of Honorable Accord (Sabbat Guide P. 88)
- Path of Power and the Inner Voice (Sabbat Guide P. 93)
- Purchase up to three Status at character creation, which must be purchased with XP.
- Start with a single Advanced Discipline, which must be purchased with experience
- Start on one of these Paths of Enlightenment:
- Path of Cathari (Sabbat Guide P. 78)
- Path of the Feral Heart (Sabbat Guide P. 86)
- Path of Lilith (Sabbat Guide P. 90)
- Path of Caine (Sabbat Guide P 76)
- Play a character who belongs to one of the following Clans or Bloodlines: Assamite, Giovanni, Followers of Set, Ravnos, Daughters of Cacophony, Samedi, Children of Osiris (Lore only: V20 P. 420 Bardo Rules can be found in our House Rules.)
- Start with Obtenebration, Mytherceria (Sabbat Guide P. 112), Temporis (ST Guide P. 31), or Thaumaturgy.
- Start on the Path of Typhon if you are not a Setite
- Play one of the following Clans or Bloodlines: Lasombra antitribu, Gargoyles (Camarilla Guide P. 35), Kiasyd (Sabbat Guide P. 40), True Brujah (ST Guide P. 20), Old Clan Tzimisce (Lore Only: V20 P. 439), Assamite viziers, Salubri, or Phuri Dae Ravnos.
- Purchase the Merit: True Faith
The things listed here are banned unless the Storyteller asks you explicitly to play them. Please note that this list is not comprehensive, and some things that are not listed here may, in fact, be banned. If in doubt, ask the Storyteller.
- The following Paths of Enlightenment: Path of Metamorphosis, Path of Night, Path of Paradox (even if you’re playing a Ravnos), Path of Blood if you’re not an Assamite.
- The following Clans and Bloodlines: Ahrimanes, Anda, Angellis Ater, Any Dark Ages Bloodline or Clan, Baali, Blood Brothers, Cappadocian, City Gangrel, Country Gangrel, Daitya, Gangrel Mariners, Harbingers of Skulls, Lamia, Lasombra, Malkavian antitribu, Nagaraja, Nosferatu antitribu, Panders, Ravnos antitribu, Salubri antitribu, Serpents of the Light, Telyavic Tremere, Tlacique, Toreador antitribu, Tremere antitribu, Tzimisce, Ventrue antitribu, Wu Zao
- The following Disciplines: Any Clan- or Bloodline-specific Discipline for any banned Bloodline or Discipline that is not explicitly granted by your Clan or Bloodline; Assamite Sorcery, Koldunic Sorcery, and Setite Sorcery.
- Post Advanced Disciplines.
- Thaumaturgy: Path of Conjuring and Spirit Manipulation
- Visceratika and Flight, if you’re not playing a Gargoyle
- The following Merits and Flaws: Fourteenth Generation, Child, Spirit Mentor, Haunted, Dark Fate, Amnesia